Thursday 30 May 2013

Does anyone have an original idea for a movie poster?

Everyday I use West Kensington tube station either going to or coming from work. As in most tube stations there are a numbers of posters up, most of them movie posters. 

Just recently, this one's gone up...



Upon seeing it I was struck with a sense that I'd seen this poster before, but for something else. And then I recalled these two from the 'not at all distant past'...



Strikingly similar. Which then got me further thinking. Is it coincidence? Is it a current trend that movie posters should look this way? Or is it that movie posters do, and have always, fallen into cliched styling?

So I did some research (by which I mean a quick Google search) and it turns out that they do. 

They really do.

For instance...

The 'between the legs' style

Or...

The 'back-to-back' style

How about...

The 'on a bench' style

You can see where I'm going but in the interest of labouring the point I'll continue with a few more...

The 'from behind' style
The 'one big head in the sky looking down over numerous little people' style
The 'black and white with coloured flames' style
The 'one big eye' style
The 'reflective sunglasses' style
The 'indie yellow' style
The 'red dress' style
So it's not so much that the posters are becoming as unoriginal as the movies themselves, more that they always have been and most of us just hadn't really noticed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment