Friday 1 April 2011

Oh Rocky, Rocky...

As a huge Arsenal fan I can't let the week pass by without mentioning one of my favourite ever players to grace the famous red and white shirt, David Rocastle, who tragically died of non-hodgkin's lymphoma 10 years ago yesterday.

Rocky was not only an outstanding footballer, he was also a true gent, down-to-earth and humble, something completely out of keeping with the modern day footballer. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occasions and he always took time to chat to us, pose for photos or sign shirts. He always felt like one of us, on our level even though he was blessed with sublime talent.

He was a major part of the team that won probably the most thrilling championship in English history, secured at Anfield in '89 when Mickey Thomas scored 'that goal.' I'll never forget that night and I'll never forget Rocky - loads of love and R.I.P. x

No comments:

Post a Comment